This hot topic is focused on Patient-Centered Care.
Visit the patient-centered care tag page to see all the existing READ posts about the topic. Additionally, the following lists provides supplemental materials for those interested in reading more about the topic:
- Saskatchewan Ministry of Health. (2009). Patient-centered care: An introduction to what it is and how to achieve it. Saskatchewan, MB: Lewis. Available at www.changefoundation.ca/docs/patient-centred-care-intro.pdf.
This resource provides a comprehensive definition of patient-centered care and outlines measurable indicators of performance for healthcare practitioners and administrators.
- Picker Institute Europe. (2011). Annual review 2009/2010: No decisions about me without me. Oxford.
Available at http://www.pickereurope.org/Filestore/PIE_flyers_promotional_
This report from the Picker Institute looks at the importance of patients engaging in decisions about their own health, a key component of patient-centered care.
- Canadian Medical Association. (2007). Putting patients first: Patient centered collaborative care. Available at http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/surgery/documents/CollaborativeCareBackgrounderRevised.pdf.
This discussion paper from the Canadian Medical Association seeks to define and outline patient-centered and collaborative care in a Canadian Context.
- The Joint Commission. (2010). Advancing effective communication, cultural competence, and patient- and family-centered care: A roadmap for hospitals. Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois. Available at http://www.jointcommission.org%2fassets
This article presents suggestions for employing a patient-centered approach in a hospital setting.
- Epstein, R.M., & Street, R.L. (2011). The values and value of patient-centered care. Annals of Family Medicine, 9. Available at http://www.annfammed.org/cgi/content/full/9/2/100maxtoshow=&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=1&andorexacttitle=and&andorexacttitleabs=and&fulltext=patient-centered+care&andorexactfulltext=phrase&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT.
This article examines the complimentary relationship between patient-centered care and evidence-based medicine.
- Murphy, J. (2011). Information Systems & Technology. Patient as Center of the Health Care Universe: A Closer Look at Patient-Centered Care. Nursing Economic$, 29(1), 35-37.
This article presents a brief overview of the importance of patient-centered care. It looks at how medical systems need to focus on patients rather than on care-delivery organizations, and how this focus shift can easily be achieved due to advances in health technology.
The following websites contain a plethora of information about and links relating to the topic of patient-centered care: