Alexander, S., & Vetere, C. (2011). Telling the Data Story the Right Way. Healthcare Financial Management Association Magazine. Retrieved from http://www.hfma.org/Publications/hfm-Magazine/Archives/2011/October/Telling-the-Data-Story-the-Right-Way/.
“Engaging physicians’ performance measurement can help improve service line margin. Effective data-driven analyses of service-line performance require:
- Buy-in and agreement at the outset from all parties (hospital and physicians) on the validity of the data used to evaluate service-line performance
- Actionable data and metrics relevant to physicians, with financial goals tangibly linked to clinical improvement
- Transparent sharing of data with physicians to build their trust and support the case for change
- A physician champion who can help validate findings and guide how data are presented
- Willingness of physicians to acknowledge that the opportunity for improved margin depends largely on the variable costs that they control as individuals”